When you have a garbage disposal, you will enjoy the convenience of disposing of food waste from your kitchen sink. However, just like other appliances, you may suffer garbage disposal leaks, which can be frustrating. If you have leaking problems with your garbage disposal, you will need to have it fixed as soon as possible. An emergency plumber Austin will come in handy and can save you the hassle of having to replace it.
There are various problems that can affect the garbage disposal unit. In this article, we will look at the possible causes of the leaks. It Is important to note that the unit may leak from the top, bottom or the sides. Each case is different and this is why you should leave this task to experienced plumbers.
Let us explore the reasons for your garbage leak and possible fixes from the best plumber in Austin.
Garbage Disposal Leaks from the Top
Have you noticed that your garbage is leaking from the top? The most probable cause for this is when your sink flange becomes loose. The sink flange refers to the part that connects your garbage disposal to drain. As such, when it becomes loose, it is easy to have garbage disposal leaking when using it. Over time, your connection may also get corroded and this is also a serious problem.
Here are some of the DIY tips that you can use if your garbage disposal is leaking from the top:
- Check all mounting bolts and ensure that they are tight and secure. The mounting bolts are the ones that connect the flange to the sink drain.
- Inspect the putty and see if it has become loose or compromised. The plumber’s putty is used in sealing the disposal and if you suspect it has a problem, you should remove the bolts first and apply a new layer. Once you are done, you should tighten the bolts.
If you are not sure of what to do, you can always find a plumber Austin, TX to help you out.
Garbage Disposal Leaking from the Sides
The main cause for a side leak in your garbage disposal unit is where there is a problem with the drain line connection. Generally, there is a drain line that connects the dishwasher to the garbage disposal. When you are cleaning your dishes and there is excessive food debris, the drain pipe will remove the food waste and water and take it to the garbage disposal. Where there is a problem with the connection, your garbage disposal may start leaking from the sides.
Here are some troubleshooting and DIY remedies:
- Start by checking the clamp, which connects the dishwasher to the disposal unit. There are rubber gaskets and screws that are inside the drain line. If the clamp is loose, you can use a screwdriver to tighten it.
- Inspect the hose for any cracks loose connections. There is a hosepipe which runs from the dishwasher to the garbage disposal. If this is compromised, you should make plans to have it replaced before running the dishwasher.
Get help from reputable plumbing companies Austin TX.
Garbage Disposal Leaking From the Bottom
Lastly, you may have your unit leaking from the bottom part and this is a serious problem. The most common cause is where the internal seal is broken. As your garbage disposal continues to age, it will start wearing out gradually. This may cause a whole lot of internal damage, which is the main cause of leaks from the bottom. Some of the fixes that you can try include:
- Check the entire unit and look for any possible cracks on the body. Sadly, if any part of the garbage disposal is broken, it may need to be replaced right away.
- Confirm that the garbage disposal is in the upright position. If there has been any shift, this can cause leaks from the bottom part.
- Inspect the seals for any cracks and have them resealed.
These are the main causes of garbage disposal leaks but there may be other issues. If you have a problem with your unit leaking, you should look for a professional plumber for repairs.
Get in Touch
If you are looking for a reliable plumber to fix your leaking garbage disposal, contact us. Fast Fox Plumbing is the leading Austin plumbing company with so much to offer. We are licensed professionals and ready to provide comprehensive repairs and maintenance for your garbage disposal.